Sunday, January 31, 2010

SCBWI Destination Publication 2010 Conference




















(Photo borrowed from author Jo Whittemore's Facebook page, and thanks to the mother-in-law for my favorite sweater.)

The Austin SCBWI Destination Publication 2010 conference was a total success. The speakers were topnotch. The organizers were gracious and tireless. The attendees enthusiastic and energized.

Highlights (for me): Hanging out with my literary agent, MarkMcVeigh. On Friday afternoon, after picking him up from the airport, and getting him checked in to his hotel, we sat down and discussed my work. He offered valuable feedback on three of my manuscripts, and we discussed a plan of action for getting them ready for sale. We also discussed my YA novel WIP, now at over 10,000 words, first draft.

After discussing my manuscripts, we, um, went shopping. My wife will never believe it, but I did. And I didn't complain or make a mean face, not once, I don't think. Mark was looking for vintage cowboy boots, so I took him to several Goodwill and Salvation Army stores. He schooled me about clothing and designer labels, ties, men's and women's shoes, purses. Did you know that Prada was much more than a word in a movie title? Mark is a class act. Unfortunately for him, though, Austin is more about cargo shorts and flip-flops, so he didn't find Couture anything. But I found something: THE LITTLE RASCALS remastered on VHS, for $1.00.

Other highlights:
--The pre-conference party at the home of Greg and Cynthia Leitich-Smith. The food, yum! I didn't go the the post conference party. I'm not exactly a socialite, so after one party and a full day of conferencing, I just needed to get away from people and hide.

--Caldecott Honor illustrator Marla Frazee's keynote, followed by a sit-down discussion with author Liz Garton Scanlon. They discussed their true collaboration on the book, ALL THE WORLD. I was so affected by the discussion that I will never approach a picture book project the same. I think through my picture books before sketching, of course. I plan and I create thumbnails, too. But Marla takes this process to a much higher level. She raised the bar, and I spent much of the evening considering how I need to change my work habits to reach that level. I was amazed by Liz. I already knew she was talented. I've had the honor of reading a few of her WIPs. But I didn't know the backstory behind ALL THE WORLD. Wow, she's truly a rock star.

--Chatting with up-and-comer illustrator-author Clint Young. If you don't recognize that name, you soon will. Believe me.

--Hanging out with award-winning illustrator Mike Benny.


--Carmen Oliver received the MEREDITH DAVIS VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR AWARD, which was so well deserved.

All of the speakers were fantastic, but I especially enjoyed Lisa Graff's talk, "Write Like an Author, Revise like an Editor." She described herself as "being a little bit goofy," and yes she was, but that's what made her presentation so much fun. You can tell she writes for teens. She reminded us to read books with the eye of an editor, which is something I've already been doing, and explains why I know nothing about the current book I'm reading. I'm reading it, but I'm not focused on the story at all, I'm asking myself questions like, "Why did the author begin her dialog here?" and "What motivated the character to do this?" You do learn a lot by reading this way, but it's definitely kills the fun of the story.

The day ended with a panel that included many successful Austin authors and illustrators, including Chris Barton, Jessica Anderson, Liz Garton Scanlon, P.J. Hoover, Jennifer Ziegler, Shana Burg, Philp Yates, Patrice Barton and Jacqueline Kelly. Each offered a golden nugget of wisdom, and I especially cracked up at the wonderful poetry of Philp Yates, who wrote and shared an ode to Austin's talented children's and YA community.

Lowlight: Walking up to Newbery Honor author, Kirby Larson at the Leitich-Smith party, and asking her, "So, are you an agent, editor, author or illustrator?." Then asking her, "What have you written?"

Great day, it was. Too bad my handwriting is so sloppy, I can't even read the notes I took.

11 comments:

Shelli Cornelison said...

Don, what a great wrap-up of the event. I didn't get to meet you during all of the amazingness going on around us but I did look at Clint Young's portfolio and WOW! Congrats on getting to spend time with Mark and best wishes on your work.

Diandra Mae said...

It was good to see you, Don! A great post. I think I'll just link to your blog. ;)

I completely agree about Marla and her process. I definitely need to up my ante by a hundred!

(I took a bunch of notes during the conference, let me know if you want me to email you any of them.)

carmenoliver said...

Don,

Great recap of the conference!

Thanks for the introduction to Mark McVeigh at Cyn and Greg's and I wish we'd had more time to hang-out!

I can't wait to hear about the changes you'll be making to your manuscripts at our next critique meeting.

Thanks for your kind words about the award I received. I'm so appreciative of our community and how involved everyone is!

Carmen

PJ Hoover said...

It was so great seeing you, Don! What a fantastic wrap up. Let's do it again, soon!

Susan Taylor Brown said...

I love reading your wrap-up of the event. It almost felt like I was back there in Texas at least a little bit. :)

I can feel for you on the lowlight with Kirby after my not one, but two times sticking my foot in my mouth with Kathi Appelt and thinking she was my friend Christine.

Courtney said...

Wow, I am jealous! I miss Austin. Sounds like a great time.

Emily said...

Marla's talk really affected me, too, and I'm not by any means an illustrator. Her approach to the picture book, though, I think will change the way I write a picture book.

So nice to see you on Saturday, I'm sure I'll run into you again soon.

Vonna said...

Nice recap, Don. I can't believe I forgot to mention Lisa Graff on my own blog-- her talk was great.

Kirby Larson said...

Don -- it was great meeting you! And no worries about our initial conversation -- half the time I don't know what the heck I've written either! ;-)

Don said...

Thanks, Kirby. I enjoyed your talk.

c.g.young said...

Don,
It's so incredibly cool to rub elbows with so many talented people, what a great time! Pencil in hand I left the church inspired, and ready to take on the publishing world.

Can't wait grab lunch and talk shop!

clint