Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cover ideas

For the most part, I'm finished with interior illustrations for She Loved Baseball: The Effa Manley Story. Some paintings might could use a bit of tweaking, but nothing very time consuming. I hope.

At this point the editor and art director, and I are discussing ideas for the cover. And it's tricky. The story itself is quiet, as are most of the interior illustrations. But they would like a lively cover. So I'm going to kick around a few ideas over the next week, inbetween my other projects (snagged a good one yesterday).

Now here's the funny part. I wasn't happy with two of the interior illustrations. In fact, I had planned to redo them but ran out of time. With one spot I kinda went over-the-top with my color choices, and I wanted to tone down the palette. With the other spread I wasn't sure what to do, but I felt like something was wrong.

But guess what? The spread I wanted to throw out is my art director's favorite. And the spread with the wild colors is my editor's favorite — go figure. In fact they like the colorful spread so much, they want me to use a similar palette on the cover.

Art is so subjective, there's really no right or wrong. Just do it and have fun.

1 comment:

indigene said...

I haven't been here in awhile, so it was so much fun going back and catching up on what you've been up to! Thank you so much for sharing your processes and thoughts, they are such a positive influence, whether you know that or not! Blessings!