Saturday, July 04, 2009

In the meantime. . .

I made my deadline last week . . . well, sort of. I shipped all but a few spreads to HarperCollins, with a promise that the remainder of the art would straggle in over the next few weeks. I felt terrible, but the art director reassured me it was okay, that actually I was "on time" compared to delivery of art by many other artists.

Since I'll be knee-deep in painting for the next few weeks, no telling when I'll be posting here again. So in the meantime, I wanted to help spread the word about a new picture book by writer friend, Chris Barton. His book, The Day-Glow Brothers, released this month to rave reviews and much buzz over the kidlitosphere. In particular, I'd like to direct you to a feature about him and his book on Cynsations. And they're giving books away! Check it out.

And if you're in Austin next weekend, July 11, drop in to BookPeople where the official launch of The Day-Glow Brothers will take place. See you there.

3 comments:

Mighty Kwan said...

-Don
In many instances I'm told that missing deadlines is like the kiss of death with illustrators. Because all the art directors know each other and you get a bad rep and then all of a sudden you are supposedly blacklisted and have a hard time finding work. Have you ever run into anything remotely like this or heard instances of it?

I know artists' tend to have very flakey reputations and being not only great but on time can open up a wealth of opportunities. But how often can a missed deadline realistically permanently damage your ability to stay employed within the industry?

Don Tate II said...

Hm. On one level, that can be true. Missing a deadline can cost a publisher money, particularly if they have to push a book to later list. Not so in this case. I kept in close communication with the ad, and although I missed the initial deadline, I'm still within the window of safely having the book publish on time.

As a professional -- illustrator or otherwise -- you don't want to miss deadlines. However, life happens. Happens to editors and art directors, too. Things beyond our control can step in.

I've been doing this long enough that, hopefully, I have a reputation for following through and meeting deadlines -- and in fact, just recently an editor I worked for in the past thanked me for being one of those who meets deadlines -- because many folks she works with don't.

Don Tate II said...

I may have missed answering your question: No, don't miss deadlines.

Flaky is ok.