Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Illustration update

In addition to illustrating children's books, I also work for the newspaper, The American Statesman. My official title is Graphics Reporter, which means I report stories with maps and charts. But I illustrate, too. Here are a couple of recent illustrations.




























For a story about teaching your child to grow ingredients to make a pizza.





























For a story about mothers who blog, and how powerful (and profitable) this has become.

************
In other news: Ron's Big Mission received a nice review from Children's Literature review journal. And they had pleasing comments about the illustrations, too: "Don Tate's illustrations are richly colored and vividly expressive. The town's wide-eyed citizens are foolish but well-intentioned; Tate conveys their lack of aggression through the use of sloped, curved lines and quizzical expressions."

















A few years ago when I had some down time, I created a bunch of little car images. My licensing agent, Suzanne Cruise, was able to license them to various product manufacturers, particularly scrapbooking companies. When an editor at HarperCollins/HarperFestival discovered the cars on display at a Surtex, a huge licensing show in New York, they hired me to illustrate the pop-up book Zoom: A Book of Things That Go. Recently the cars have been licensed by Miss Elizabeth, A Dollar Tree line of products, and are being used on gift bags. So, if you're so inclined, give ZOOM as a gift, and give it away in a matching bag!
















On the picture book front, I'm almost finished illustrating Effa. I'm a little behind due to a sudden burst of speaking engagements toward the end of the school year, followed by a family emergency, followed by one thing after another. But I'm almost there and, I think, it's looking good.

Add Image

1 comment:

mark mitchell said...

Love those images for the "Statesman", Don! I can't right now think of another newspaper with such bright, fresh original art or, excuse me, "graphic reporting" in its pages. They really are lucky to have you.

I showed up for hamburgers at the Shoregrill restaurant after the workshop Saturday. Those who were still there said it had been an amazing time.
Maybe catch you at the next one.