Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A grueling four months comes to an end








When I think about my accomplishments over the past four months, I
feel both gratified and exasperated. Here's what I've been up to:


Finished painting She Loved Baseball, a picture book biography about Negro League Baseball owner Effa Manley, written by Audrey Vernick. This book required 23 pieces of art, possibly 24 since the cover has yet to be determined.

Gave 10 speaking presentations at school libraries, writing conferences, and book fairs.

Completed 4 small, in-and-out in a day freelance projects for educational publishing.

Spent 4 days in North Carolina with my Aunt Eleanora, following the sudden passing of her husband, my uncle Zack.

Attended and participated in no less than 20 end-of-the-year school activities, sporting events, summer camp programs, Scouting events.

Wrote and revised a humorous picture book (out to an editor); wrote a first draft of a picture book biography.

Read 10 pages from 5 manuscripts for an upcoming writing/critiquing event.

And don't forget, I work a part-time job at the newspaper three days per week, which allows me to do all these other things.

Things I haven't accomplished:


Working out. Yes, I'm out of shape, fat around the edges, and weak. And to make matters worse, every bodypart jiggles, including those that should be stationary.

Vegas vacation. My wife and son spent 11 days in Las Vegas without me.

My son's track meets. There was no way I could forfeit entire days in order to watch my son run in a 30-second track event. Kudos to my wife who did this.

Several get-togethers and a road trip with local authors and illustrators.

Church. Even though I sleep through most sermons, I don't like to miss church because I think it's important for my son to know I value going to church.

4 comments:

shadrieka said...

Whew, I need a nap after reading this! Congrats on ALLLLL of your accomplishments. I am clearly not working hard enough....lol

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle.

Anonymous said...

you are ridiculously prolific. congrats, don.

sorry to hear about your uncle.
-annette

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Annette, Shadra.

Don

Nicole Tadgell said...

Wow...and I thought I was busy! Hope you can enjoy the rest of the summer and hopefully work out to boot!

Cheers,
Nicole