Sunday, February 15, 2009

Are you addicted to Facebook?

I found this article interesting. It asks: Are you addicted to Facebook? For me, since I use MySpace, Twitter, JacketFlap, Wordpress, Blogger and Facebook, the question applies more to social networking in general.

Here are the questions and my answers:

10 warning signs that you may be addicted to Facebook (social networks)

1. Facebook is your home page.
No. Yahoo is my homepage. Drudge is usually next. Facebook follows close behind.

2. You update your status more than twice a day.
I update my Facebook status at least once per day. Occasionally twice. More than that, I'll use Twitter which, designed for frequent updates, is less likely to irritate people.

3. You have over 500 "friends" half of whom you've never actually met.
I have little over 200 Facebook "friends" and the list keeps growing. I know, or have personally met about 50% of these people. The rest I've met through the internet. I use Facebook for trade networking, so most of my "friends" are children's publishing professionals that I've met at conferences, literary festivals, through SCBWI, or long term through the blogosphere. MySpace — with its crazy animated graphics, music, backgrounds and noise — crashes my browser, so I never use it.

4. As soon as you step away from your computer you're on FB on your phone.
No. Occasionally I will text message an update. Probably good I don't have an iPhone though.

5. You are a FB stalker. You qualify as a FB stalker if you:

a) click on someone's profile more than once a day even if they haven't messaged or tagged you in a photo.

b) have dragged and dropped more than 3 FB photos (not from your own profile)

c) actually go to a place mentioned on someone's page in hopes of seeing them in real life...creepy!
Never. None of the above.

6. You change your profile picture more than a 12-year=old girl.
I've changed my profile picture one time in the year I've been signed on with Facebook. On inauguration day, I changed my profile to a drawing I created of Obama.

7. You have checked your FB page while reading this article.
Nope. Well, except to get a count of my "friends."

8. You clean up your "wall" so it looks like you spend less time on FB.
Listen, I don't care what people think about my Facebook time. As long as I'm making my deadlines, it's nobody's business.

9. You are a member of more than 10 groups and respond to every event invitation "attending" even if you have no intention of going.
I belong to about 10 groups, but I haven't been able to find them ever since the Facebook redesign. And most of my event invites come from New York, so no I (regretfully) ignore them.

10. You change your relationship status just to mess with people.
Since my wife is anti-social-networking and does not have a Facebook account, I've never changed my relationship status. When she joins, I'll make an update.

Now, here's the weird thing: There are people I know who will talk to me on Twitter and Facebook, but who will walk right past me in person and not speak a word. Hm.

3 comments:

Jill Corcoran said...

OK, I feel better. I thought I was but according to that list I am not addicted to fb, just infatuated.

Anonymous said...

my wife does about the same(or more) listed above...and it's frustrating for me to come home every night with the laptop on her lap until bedtime. ok, maybe she's up for some icecream or something...errr...

Don Tate II said...

You know, I think I might know who your wife is. Just a guess, but I think I do.