Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Barack H. Obama; 44th President of the United States

Yesterday I felt compelled to sketch this image of then President-elect Obama. Today, ironically, during the inauguration ceremony, I was sketching an image of a 1940s protest organized by the Citizen's League for Fair Play. They were protesting white-owned businesses in downtown Harlem who would not hire blacks.

Wow, have we come a long way.

My wife and I watched the inauguration together. She took the the day off from work not wanting to miss a minute of history. But an hour before the ceremony, an electric company worker knocked on our front door and announced that they were about to cut off our electricity to repair a transformer. And he didn't care that we we were watching the first Black President being inaugurated. That's why I ended up sketching instead of watching TV.

Needless to say, the wife called the electric company and gave them a good piece of her mind. I called a friend to see if we could drop in on him to watch the ceremony, but our electricity was turned back on just in time to watch the Obama children entering the Capitol area.

The experience was emotional, but the only time I got misty-eyed was when I looked over at my wife during the Rick Warren prayer. Her head was bowed, and she prayed along, and her smile was worth thousand words.

2 comments:

Jay Asher said...

So the transformer was fixed in time to watch the inauguration of a reformer. Perfect!

Great sketch!

Wild About Words said...

Don,
And your next sketch? People of all shapes, sizes and colors dancing in the streets all over the world.
Hooray for this day!
Donna