Sunday, December 07, 2008

The book sale

This past Friday, the newspaper where I work held its biannual book sale. I'm normally off on Fridays, but this sale always lures me in to the office on my days off.

Our books editor receives oodles and gobs of books sent by publishers hoping for reviews in our Features section. Thing is, only a small portion of books actually get reviewed. The rest are sold at sales that rival the recent Walmart, Black Friday, stampede.

I love this sale because everyone else bypasses the books I'm looking for — children's, YA and Black-authored books. Means I get my fill of whatever I want. So here's what I got:


Flower and Fade, a graphic novel about a couple that reminds me of my cartoon series.

The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine by local Austin YA author April Lurie.

Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things. The only reason this book caught my eye was because of its mention on Bartography. I read the first few pages and I'm hooked.

Little Divas by Philana Marie Boles, a 'tweener series. I certainly hope this talented author will receive more attention for her great works.

Matthew Henson: The Quest for the North Pole. A Black guy who likes snow, cold and mountains. Hmmm. My interest is piqued.

I also got some non-children's books, too:

My Grandfather's Son by Clarence Thomas. Like it or not, I'm a big Clarence Thomas fan.

T.O.'s Finding Fitness. I can't stand this guy. I can't stand football either. And T.O.'s half-naked book cover repulses me. But I'm addicted to fitness books, so I'll read every word, eventually.

The Hip Hop Wars by Tricia Rose. This is one of those books that will decorate my bookshelf, but likely will never get read.

Ghetto Nation: Dispatches from America's Culture War by Cora Daniels. Ditto on my previous comments.

Definition: The Art and Design of Hip-Hop by Cey Adams with Bill Adler. I was almost embarrassed to pick up this book in a crowded room, with it's racy cover. But in all honesty, the racy cover is what sold me. It features a digital painting of rapper 'Lil Kim, all spread out, you know like she does... For an artist, graphic designer, visual person, this book is the bomb!

Now get this: I got all these books, brand new, hot off their publishers presses, for only $23-bucks.

1 comment:

PJ Hoover said...

Can I visit when the next book sale happens?
Great seeing you on Saturday! Hi to the family!