Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yesterday, today

Yesterday, I didn't believe. Yesterday I wasn't hopeful. Yesterday, I didn't fully trust in America. But yesterday, America elected it's first Black President.

And that's all changed for me.

Today, I believe. Today, I'm feeling hopeful. Today, I am proud of my country.

During the primaries, my then 6-year-old son was a huge Hillary supporter. He was against the idea of having as Black President, and he was very vocal about it. I don't know why.

A few days ago, I asked him again who he wanted to be President, Obama or McCain. I fully expected him to say McCain, or revert back to Clinton. He said, "Dad, it doesn't matter, we need to be happy for whoever wins."

My son is indifferent. He doesn't see the historical significance of this day. He's like, "What's the big deal?" I think this is a good thing. Although, for whatever reason he didn't want a Black man to be President early on, I don't think he ever saw it as impossible . . . as I did.

1 comment:

rindawriter said...

I'm very happy with Obama's win and hope for the healing of this country as quickly as possible.