Thursday, October 30, 2008

Crammed up weekend ahead

It's Thursday already, and I still have an unresolved conflict to work out. Several of them, actually. Tomorrow I'm supposed to attend a very cool party put on by the Texas Book Festival, for featured children's and YA authors, moderators and organizers. I'd like to be there. It will be fun.

But tomorrow is also Trick-or-Treat night.

I love taking my kids out for Trick-or-Treat. When my daughters were little, I'd paint their faces like clowns. They appreciated that so much more than any store bought costume. We'd go door-to-door, many times in the rain or snow, staying out late until everyone's candy had run out. But my son, to be honest, doesn't like Trick-or-Treat much. He's scared of the dark. He's scared of Halloween decorations (people in Texas go all out with Halloween decorations, scary music and costumes -- it's almost religious). He's scared of other Trick-or-Treaters, too, unless they're dressed like angels or princesses or soft, friendly dinosaurs.

The evening is usually stressful for him and for me. Have it his way, he'd put on his costume and give out candy at the door (to those dressed friendly, of course). Have it my way, we'd sweep every home in the neighborhood. So we usually compromise; He puts his costume on, we visit maybe three homes, then we come home where he can pass out candy in the safety of our well lighted livingroom.

And I should miss my party for that?

On Saturday at 3 p.m., the authors on my panel and I are to meet in a designated room at the State Capitol. My plan was to visit a few of the other children's and YA panels in the morning, then do my panel at 3, and then attend the cocktail party at 6. But my son has football pictures in the morning, and a game at noon. And, of course, my wife has church mixed up in there somewhere in the morning and evening.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet. I will be there to moderate my panel, no doubt. But everything else hangs in the balance.

2 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Take your kid trick or treating.

:)

Anonymous said...

Sorry Don, Trick or Treating with your stressed out kid wins. :)

Christy
www.christystallop.com