Saturday, October 11, 2008

Busy week behind me, busy week ahead

I've been so busy, I haven't had time to post an update or anything, so here goes:

I'm sort of at a stopping point with both my books, Effa and Duke, so I worked on a little gift shop book for The Austin Steam Train Association. Think Polar Express, but in Cedar Park, Texas. I also tested an won a very small yet very large (if that makes any sense) educational freelance project. With Effa and Duke on hold, ready to resume any day, I really can't afford to take on another project. But with such a dry freelance summer and fall, I can't afford not to take on another project either. A brotha needs some income.

Thanks to my friend, Kelly, who referred me to the service, I signed on with Children's Lit, Author/Illustrator Booking. I'm hoping they might be able to arrange a few school visits in the North Carolina area when I speak at the AACBWI Conference next spring.

I RSVPed to attend a very cool party with featured authors and illustrators of this year's Texas Book Festival. I will be moderating a question/answer session with Kadir Nelson. More details to come.

Yesterday I received samples two advanced copies of Ron's Big Mission, my most recently illustrated book. And I received a very nice note from the author, Corrine Naden, who offered compliments and praise. We both expressed our sadness about the passing of co-author Rose Blue before the book could publish.

Today, I'm presenting at the Hill Country Book Festival in Georgetown, Texas. My presentation is in three hours, so I'd better get off the internet and prepare. Local authors Cynthia Leitich Smith, Liz Garton Scanlon, and PJ Hoover will also be there!

I started writing another picture book biography. Crit partner Chris Barton offered this subject, and just like with Bill, a book to publish in 2010, I let it sit for years before writing it. So far, I'm still plugging in dates on a time line, so I haven't actually got to the writing part.

And I'm back to practicing figure drawing, too. I sketched, probably 50 or so figures this week. It's so relaxing.

2 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

So great seeing you today! You did an amazing presentation. And your son is adorable!

Chris Barton said...

You're working on that story about that guy who did that thing in that place? Terrific -- I can't wait to hear how it's going!