Thursday, August 28, 2008

I wish...

... it were possible to squeeze ten years inside of a day. I'd write a coming of age YA novel about a young man in the Black Panther Party in Des Moines, Iowa. Believe it or not, little ol' Des Moines has a rich history with this movement.

My father-in-law is visiting this week from Des Moines and he brought along a friend, an old-timer and one-time community activist. He was good friends with many of the Black Panther Party members. I asked him questions this morning about some of the old party members, and I'm so fired up.

I can't write the story. I have way too many things on my plate. But it would be so cool to make that happen.

Well, back to work.

4 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

You can write it!

I saw you mention Editor's Day on Facebook, but didn't see your name on the list. Are you going?

Don Tate II said...

Sore topic. But yes, I'll be there. Look forward to chatting with you!

PJ Hoover said...

Me, too! See you there!

Rinda M. Byers said...

Don, I think this idea of a novel about the Black Panthers is just SO interesting.

Now, do as Ancient Lady tells you.

You get a box or folder just for this topic, label it very quickly, and you just DUMP whatever you write about this topic, ideas, images bitsy pieces of paper, names, research ideas, ANYTHING into that box or file folder.

You have the idea there already on this blog. You copy this blog that you did on a piece of paper and you dump it into that file folder or box as your first item.

When you are sitting and doodling in conference or stuck in another boring situation, you just sketch and doodle ideas and images abou tthis topic and DUMP those in there, too.

You'll get the time someday to work on this EXCELLENT idea.

And your good start for a rough draft will all be there waiting for you.

This is a GOOD idea!!!! I watched a documentary that had a segment on the Black Panthers, a historical documentary--SO fascinating.

AND so few novels or any books for teens done on this topic.

We all need to know more about this movement in American history.

Best2U, and yes, I am getting to be an Ancient Lady, at least I feel like one these days with arthritis creeping in around the corners.

BUT!!! It is not a bad place to be either!!