Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Austin African American book festival?

I recently discovered an African American book festival was held earlier this summer, right here in Austin. I didn't even know about it. And I was disappointed to learn that no children's authors were included on the program.

Austin is home to Essence Magazine's best selling author Varian Johnson, who writes YA. He's African American. Austin is home to Angela Medearis, one of the most prolific children's authors of our time. She's African American, too. Not to mention myself. I know there are others in central Texas, I've met them at various conferences.

For children, the festival offered, um . . . puppet shows. Well alrighty then.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Well, isn't that sad? Maybe you should send the organizers a little note and a link to the Brown Bookshelf!