Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vacationing in Vegas

Well, I've been visiting my wife's family in Vegas for the past 24 hours, and I haven't seen the strip at all. I'm not complaining, I'm fine with that. I don't see what the big deal is anyway, unless throwing money away, one quarter at a time, is fun. And it ain't.

I've been reading an advanced review copy of Becoming Billie Holiday (WordSong) by Carole Boston Weatherford, illustrated by Floyd Cooper. Almost read it cover to cover. It's a story written in verse. I'm inspired again. When I first started writing, my friend Cynthia Smith suggested I tell my story -- of being a teenaged father -- in verse. I started but never got very far. So while I'm here, I plan to resume that effort. That is, unless we end up on the strip.

On another note: I'm blogging from my father-in-law's computer. He uses a PC. I use a Mac. I'm shocked at how ugly my blog and artwork looks when viewed from a PC. When I get home, I'll have to make some kind of adjustment. Though I don't know what.

3 comments:

Wild About Words said...

Don,

I love Cynthia's suggestion to tell your personal story in verse. I hope you find the mojo to work on that. And if that writing happens in Vegas, I hope it doesn't stay in Vegas.

Donna

INDIGENE said...

Vegas is definitely an experience! Have fun!

www.indigeneartforms.blogspot.com

rindawriter said...

Don, that PC PROBABLY has something amiss with the color adjustment on its screen! That's my guess. There is probably not as much wrong with your artwork as you might think, knowing how computer systems are! Your work might look incredibly better on a different PC screen!

Don, I think your difficulty is that you are getting too tense too early about the FORMAT of your story when you just need to be in the hot and heavy EMOTIONS and CHARACTERS of your story at this stage. Let your messy right brain rule! The orderly neat formating part of your mind, the left brain, that can rule later in the process.

So write those famous messy first, third, second drafts first! Muck about with them and play with them freely. If you know your story, your characters, the emotions of your story well, then deciding what format to put it into comes easy, yes, even rewriting it in verse will come much, much easier. You see, you already know your story, and a lot of the words are now going to be very familiar to you when you start to rewrite for format!

So don't worry one bit about the format of what you are writing UNTIL you get that intense, rich story basically down on paper, slop it all out, beginning, middle complication, and end. Then you can rewrite it in verse so much more easily! And it will be the better for it because you will be polishing words that you know well! And poetry is the creme de la creme of format--every word has to be perfect, really, perfect words in perfect places--no margins for error. Good poetry is that precise.

Best to you! Now, BE inspired. Your friends are telling you that YOU have the power and the talent within to do it!

Nothing is so good for your poetry than rewriting words you have already written!