Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Size matters! Women like little eyes.











I was trying to come up with a cute baby character to use for a new scrap booking kit (trying to squeeze in a small project before beginning my next two books). The face on the left, with the small eyes, was my first sketch. But it wasn't working for me, so I decided to blow up the eyes real big. Big eyes equals cute, right? But four women proved me wrong — my wife, a critique buddy, a coworker and my licensing agent. All four women preferred the version with small simple eyes. Go figure.

In my opinion, the big eyed character has more personality. And when the two faces are laid out side-by-side, I don't even notice the smaller eyed character on the left — I'm drawn to the big, brown, sparkling eyes. But I'm a dude and since not too many dudes will be purchasing my online scrap booking kits, I've decided to take the advice of the ladies, and go with the face on the left.

What do you think?

Well, this is my last post for awhile. I'll check back in soon.

6 comments:

Roberta said...

I like the small eyed one!
They're both cute... but the big eyed one looks older. The face of a toddler maybe.

chad cameron said...

Don- I like the bigger eyes too if only because they're more interesting. That said, it really depends on your goals, I think. Could be they're responding to the more calm expression/mood more than the size, or perhaps the location of the eyes. Did you try variations with the eyes less bugged out, closer together, etc? Good luck!

Liz in Ink said...

I have to say, the small eyes win. The big eyes creep me out a little...

Kim said...

I'm the oddball then. I like the big eyes. Much more personality!

gail said...

I'd have to vote for the small eyes too.

Rinda M. Byers said...

Little eyes for scrapbooking purposes: You aren't in a cartoon expressing something, an opinion or a story: They just want a cute little baby motif that looks harmless like the fuzzy-clad things in that baby show on PBS--maybe someone else can recall the name of the show...been a while since I've been baby watching...

Best on your projects! You are getting really busy!