Friday, June 20, 2008

I'm excited to (almost) make an announcement

Six months after my publisher and I began our search for an artist to illustrate my first authored picture book biography, we finally have our artist! But I can't reveal the person's name yet. Bummer, bummer, bummer! I think I'm gonna burst. And I must admit, for those who are wondering, the idea of another artist illustrating my manuscript is a bit, um, awkward. More so than I originally thought it would be. But am extremely, extremely happy and honored to have a person of his/her stature sign on to this project. Again, I can't say who the artist is, but I will say this:

The artist who will illustrate Bill . . .

. . . was one of my top three choices to illustrate this book. I'm a big fan of the artist's work, and I have at least four of his/her books in my personal collection.

. . . is a Coretta Scott King award recipient.

. . . has one of the most distinctive (coolest) styles of illustration in children's publishing today.

. . . is the perfect choice to illustrate this book, given the subject matter. This story was made for this artist, and you'll understand why I say this when you read the book.

I look forward to what (fill in the blank) will bring to this book. It will publish in the spring of 2010.

5 comments:

rbaird said...

How exciting. Won't it be interesting to see how this artist interprets your story. I'm sure as a visual artist (as well I might add!) you've been imagining the written scenes as pictures.
Congratulations Don!

Chris Barton said...

Congratulations, ______________, on getting to be involved in author Don Tate's debut!

danny lowe said...

I better get a signed copy of this book!!

gail said...

This is so exciting!!! Oh man, I might know who it is. Just a guess, but I think we exchanged some comments while discussing style a while back. Can't wait to hear the news!!!

gail

rindawriter said...

This is VERY EXCITING!!! I can't double-bold this comment here, but I would if I could!

I will be thrilled to read this book, Don!

You, author, you!