Saturday, April 05, 2008

Google's been on my street!

Google Street is a pretty cool online tool. Don't know how I'd ever use it, other than for snooping on my neighbors or for checking out the homes of my children's publishing colleagues (Yes, SCBWIers, I'll be checking you out).

Course, the first thing I did was look up my publishers. Here's a shot of Lee & Low Books, the publisher who recently purchased my picture book biography. I've never been to their New York offices, but if I went I suppose I could use this tool to find my way. The building looks cold and scary.

And this is Houghton Mifflin. I guess. Kinda looks like downtown Austin. Hard to tell which building. The image can be panned 360-degrees, rotated and zoomed in on. Heck, I think you can even take a virtual stroll down the street in any direction.



Here is Charlesbridge, the publisher of my next picture book. I'm curious about the For Lease sign. Suppose I could dial the number advertised to find out if my publisher is moving, or if this is the building across the street from their offices.




And, of course, here's my home. Weird thing is, Google took this shot recently, like within the past three days. I know this because it was only three days ago that my tree had absolutely no leaves. I'd pointed it out to my son so he'd notice how quickly the tree would bloom (is that he right word?). I also know because my privacy fence (funny to use the word privacy in a post about Google Street), which can be seen by scrolling, is wilting. It just started wilting in the past month. Now, excuse me, I'm off to look up your address.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thought you might want to know that your shot of Houghton Mifflin (now Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) is actually of the Fire and Ice restaurant across the street... It's actually a very nice building.

indigene said...

My husband discovered google map, etc., a couple of years ago and we saw our home. The whole thing was kinda creepy to me! Hmmm...nothing sacred, I guess in the world of internet access! Beautiful Home, by the way! :)

rindawriter said...

It did make me feel rather strange, thinking about it!

Although it is no more public than one's address.

Rinda M. Byers said...

Hi, Don, just wanted to let you know that you probably can't GMoogle me because....guess what?! I live close to the shipyards in Bremerton, WA, AND ye olde U.S.A. government has blocked out the satellite views of my home close up. You can even see the line where they (the Feds) did it! So, likely I am not mapped online yet......STRANGE isn't it?!