Tuesday, March 04, 2008

My son on caucus night

My son is such a character. Tonight, my wife went to the caucuses (I couldn't go because I had to work). The experience turned out to be a huge mess, so my wife couldn't stay for the final vote. The turnout was so high, it took two-and-a-half hours before a count was even taken. They had to stand outside in the dark, in the cold, with about 200 other people. Besides that, she had our six-year-old son with her, who fussed all night long.

"It's not fair!" he protested loudly. "I don't want to stand in Obama's line. I want to stand in Hillary's!"

On several occasions, when caucus organizers asked if anyone else wanted to stand in Hillary's line, my son yelled out, "I do! I wanna vote for Hillary!" Everyone had a good laugh, but I don't think it's very funny.

I don't mind that my son wants to vote for Ms. Clinton. In fact, I'm happy that his mind is open to the idea of a female president. My problem is with his reasoning. The other day, during a conversation he had with another 6-year-old kid, he said, "I don't want a Black man to be president." To which the other kid said, "But, K, you're Black, too."

2 comments:

Liz in Ink said...

Oh, man. Ouch. A whole lotta stuff is coming up, thanks to this historic race...

Kyra said...

Don - You gotta illustrate a book on a Black man being president of the US! Images do count!

Best, Kyra