Saturday, February 02, 2008

5 years in the making, and it ain't finished yet

The contract arrived in the mail today! Two years from the date that I first received the good news that a publisher was interested. Three years from the date that I first sat down to write the story. About 5 years from the date that author Dianna Aston mailed an article to me that she had clipped from the newspaper. That article was the inspiration for a wonderful story. Of course, it only took three seconds for me to open the envelope today and scribble my signature on the contract.

This will be my first authored children's book. I remember several years ago, sitting on a panel at the Texas Book Festival, the lone illustrator, declaring that someday I'd write a children's book. Although it sounded good at the time, I didn't really believe it. I wasn't a writer. My interest in writing began soon after, here on this blog. And my interest and love for writing has grown from there.

8 comments:

GA girl said...

WAY TO GO!!! Looking forward to hearing more about your book and seeing it in print. CB in GA.

April Afloat said...

Congratulations, Don!! Wonderful news. I can't wait to hear more about this book. Hopefully we can catch up Saturday.

Charles Apple said...

Congratulations, Don! WooHOO!

rindawriter said...

You are a born creator, Don,in both writing and illustrating. And the dictionary says it is okay for you to call yourself an author even if you aren't a published writer in the classical sense! After all, you AUTHOR your own creations!

Kelly said...

Congratulations, Don!

I'm so happy for you. I can't wait to add your book to my daughter's collection.

carlasarratt said...

Congratulations, Don! This is awesome news and I can only imagine the excitement that you are feeling.

Paula said...

Congrats! Welcome to the dark side...mwa ha ha.

Rita said...

Fantastic!! Congratulations!! I love hearing you make these connections re: the timeline, too.

Funny...lately I've been feeling like my blog has begun reminding me I used to draw and paint. But, I'm not an artist (that way), and I'm not saying anything.