Tuesday, January 08, 2008

An interview with Charles Apple

If you have a minute today, be sure to check out Charles Apple's Blog. He gives a very thorough and detailed interview of me about my children's book career. Please excuse my...um...creative use of punctuation, I was so busy over the holidays, so I didn't take the time to proof my answers to his interview questions.

Charles is an amazingly talented visual journalist. And he is the graphics director of The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk, Va. About eight years ago, I had the fortune and pleasure of working for Charles at the Des Moines Register. He was my graphics editor, and my only regret is that didn't get an opportunity to work for him for longer. I left Des Moines and moved to Austin two months after Charles was hired.

A few weeks ago, Charles visited Austin and gave a powerful presentation at the Austin American-Statesman, the newspaper where I work. When he finished speaking, I was so jazzed I just wanted to get up and...make a locater map. No, just kidding. But the guy is inspirational and I'm a better journalist having worked for him, even for such a short time.

I'm thankful to Charles for putting together such a thorough interview. Most of the links and photos he researched and found on his own.

2 comments:

rindawriter said...

Nice interview, Don. I'm always amazed that there is still more to learn new about you--must be the creativity in you!

Liz in Ink said...

Very nice, Don! Congrats...