Sunday, January 20, 2008

What I'm reading

Diary of a Whimpy Kid, by Jeff Kinney, is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I've been reading this book and laughing to the point of tears all week. Even though the book is written for the average 5th-grader, I can relate to so many things even as a grown man. For instance the opening paragraph where Greg Heffley says: "First of all, let me get something straight: This is a JOURNAL, not a diary...when mom went out to buy this thing I SPECIFICALLY told her to get one that didn't say 'diary' on it."

Exactly how I felt when I began to blog here three years ago. I hoped people would see it as a journal and not a diary. This book is so funny.

3 comments:

rindawriter said...

I'm so glad you finally got to this one! I got an ARC of it at ALA in Seattle, last year, and just knew my husband would love it. He did! He loves it so much he doesn't want me to read the ARC anymore--he thinks it will increase in value as an ARC. Maybe he's right!

I can't see why this could not have won a big award though. I think it is fantastic literature for middlegraders. I just love middle grade books anyway with lots of black and white drawings.

It's even funny for me, a grownup girl!

Kim said...

I bought DIARY last weekend after I read this post. My 10 year old --who hates to read--loved it, zipped right through it, and is recommending it to others who are now borrowing ours!

Rita said...

This has been at the top of my reading list for ages. It comes highly recommended by all people I respect.

I can't wait to read it!