Sunday, December 30, 2007

I'm revved! And so is my newest book!

This past Friday, I received copies of Zoom, a pop-up novelty book I illustrated for HarperCollins. Twenty-four books arrived in three large, heavy boxes. Each book is a whopping 2-inches thick, with pages that a young reader can dial, pull, push and feel. My favorite spread is at the end. It flips opens to four-times the size of the book, displaying all of the vehicles used throughout, in one long scene.

The illustrations are digital, using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. GV was the official paper engineer on the project, but I was pleased that many of the novelty features proposed by me were used in the final product. Maybe I can add paper engineer to my resume, too? Well, maybe not.

At some point, I still plan to show all of the many cover designs the art director and I proposed before we settled on the above.

3 comments:

Disco Mermaids said...

That is awesome, Don!

And yes, I'd love to see some of the other cover designs.

Happy New Year!!!

- Jay

Cloudscome said...

Hoo Boy we have got to get a copy of this in our house. I am tripping on trucks all over the place around here. Is your publisher sending out review copies to bloggers?

rindawriter said...

Love it, will be recommending as my number one book for toddlers' gifts.