Sunday, December 16, 2007

Buried...

I'm so buried with Brown Bookshelf business, I don't know when I'll have time to come up for air. Probably sometime tomorrow. After all the time I've spent on research, I'm left with one thought: In the age of the internet (free web space), I can't believe the number of authors who still haven't established a basic web presence. I've had conversations with authors who are completely freaked out at the thought of blogging, and I can kind of understand that (kinda). But what's wrong with having a website (did I say free) that offers a biography and book listing?

As Bill Cosby would say, "Come on people!"

3 comments:

Paula said...

Don, at the sake of coming off as a complete tech snob - I agree!! Just a simple "this is who I am and what I publish" is sufficient. But for me, not having a web presence is like someone in the 80's not having a phone number.

I try to remember that not everyone has internet access. But, public libraries now offer free access - so if you can get to the PL you can get to a computer i.e. everyone should have at least a basic site.

Carla said...

Don and Paula, I agree with you both. A web presence in this day and age is critical. Even if it offers basic information, it is a necessary networking and promotional tool no matter how established you are.

rindawriter said...

I would say "don't be scared!" I was a computer tekki ignorantamus, and I still am, but if I can manage a website and blog, me the great math dyslexic and buttom crumpler, hey! Anyone can!

My host is netfirms for great service for a great price if your build your own templates/site, etc.: $50 a year.

There are many easy-to-build-a-site web hosts now that are terrific and sooo easy, just fill in the blanks sort of thing. Do a Google search as better and better sites keep coming up.