Sunday, November 04, 2007

Weekend photos

















At the Texas Book Festival, Jerry Pinkney talked about his process of illustrating books, and adapting classics. He also signed his new book, Little Red Riding Hood. Excuse my awkward pose in the photo. I'd hoped he would stand, but when that didn't happen, I bent down over his shoulder, looking like a wilted palm frond. My ego wilted as a result of our conversation. As he signed his book, I babbled on, telling him how his daughter-in-law, Andrea Pinkney, edited the first book of my career. I also told him how his and Brian's career advice, through several personal phone discussions, had helped me to reach my publishing goals. He knows me, kinda of, or so I thought. "What's your name?" he asked.

"DON TATE!" I practically screamed.

"Thank you for sharing your story, Don."

That was it. I got my awkward picture, stuffed my broken ego into my pocket, and walked away.




This morning, the wife and I ran in the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure, a timed, 5K race and fun run. We weren't timed.

My wife ran in memory of her grandmother, Lula Lewis, who died of breast cancer when my wife was a young child.





Me, if I look irritated, it's because of what's not pictured: my tired feet and the two giant give-away bags I'm carrying. And the pink-ish shirt didn't help my mood either. All in all, it was a beautiful morning and a fantastic turnout, over 20,000 runners.

2 comments:

rindawriter said...

Maybe he just had an over-long day, Don, I wouldn't worry about it. It's stressful as an author to meet lots of new people in a day, and maybe he's like me...I stress out and forget people after meeting one person once in a very quiet day sometimes with not remembering names. Hey, I called one of my good girlfriends a different name for the first five times I met her!!! How nice for you to meet him, though.

Camille said...

Don,
You are WAY to hard on yourself. You don't resemble a palm frond, wilted or otherwise. That is a great photo of the two of you.

My conversation at book signings usually consists us me saying something like,"Gaauuuuuggghh, love your books, uuuuuhhhhh..."

I am sure he thought about your conversation afterwards once he didn't have to be "on" in the signing line. The fact that he asked your name again shows he was registering the information. Otherwise he would have just said, "Uh-huh."