Sunday, November 11, 2007

We had a nice weekend, you?

I had an amazing, wonderful, fabulous weekend and, somehow, I managed to do it without involving anything kid-lit. I'm in between projects, so I didn't have any work to do. I did prepare an agent submission packet, it's ready to ship today. Wish me luck.

First, my son tested for his yellow belt in karate (he's in the front row). He passed without a flaw. My son is growing up so fast, he looked like a little man standing up there performing his routines. He also earned his nunchaku, which he will use in his next phase of training.

The following day, we packed up our tents and headed south to the beautiful Palmetto State Park for a Cub Scout family camp out. That was just a total blast. Describing the experience would take more time than I have to give to this post.

If you don't already know, camping is expensive. For what it cost us to sleep overnight in a tent, we could have stayed in a 4-star hotel for two, possibly three nights. The tent itself only cost $34.00, but add on lamps, flashlights, sleeping bags, blow-up mattresses, pillows, a stove, and so-on and so-on and so-on. We've made our initial investment in camping equipment, so we intend to make use of it beyond Cub Scout camp outs.

The wife was a bit irritated with me, though. After initially setting up our tent, I moved it. Twice. I'm not a bug person, and I couldn't find quite the right spot where there were no bugs. The first spot was too close to a water spigot, which I was warned would draw bugs. Our second spot was too close to some brush. After hammering in the last stake, I noticed the ground was literally moving with bug-spray-resistant, little jumping insects from hell. Nope! No way. Our third spot was perfect, save for the snoring later on that night coming from the tent next to ours. But I'll take snoring over bugs-from-hell any day.

And while no one believes me, while fishing, we did see alligators. Three of them.

1 comment:

rindawriter said...

I love camping too! We got our equipment a while back, maybe not so pricy as now, but it's great to have on hand in case of emergencies also....like here in Washington State, Mt. Rainier blowign up or something....!!!Eeh! Maybe there wouldn't be any need for anything if that happened, though now that I think of it...Alligators? Now, THAT'S something!