Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Signs, many signs

For the past three years, the wife and I have been working with a credit managing agency. Like many Americans, we'd dug ourselves so deep that we were drowning in credit card payments. With the help of a credit counselor, we destroyed our credit cards, and have now ridden ourselves of credit card debt.

This past weekend, we pulled new credit reports. We went to San Antonio to meet with the agency to establish new goals. After speaking with the counselor for about an hour, he gave me some advice that left my mind buzzing ever since I left his office. He said, "Step out on faith, walk into your job tomorrow and put in your two week notice."

He's a Christian counselor, he said it's a "God thing."

Sigh. That scares me so much.

5 comments:

paula said...

Wow. Big move. A bit like jumping off a cliff. But these credit counselors deal with reality and stability so if SHE'S the one who suggested it, that says something. Good luck/providence and let us know what you do!

Susan said...

Oh my gosh - that is exciting and scary as heck. I'm trying to get up the nerve to just switch day jobs, let alone quit completely.

But Don, you have gathered so much momentum over the last couple of years. You are a hard-working professional who would work even harder if you had more hours in your day to do so.

If anyone can make it work, you can!

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Kim said...

WOW! I'd say that's big advice coming from a credit counselor. If she thinks you can do it, there must be something to it! I say go for it. (But then again, I've been saying that to you for at least a year!) Maybe there's goal for the new year in there for you!!! As Susan said, you have the momentum. And, you've been passing up lots of work. This might be the right time to take that big step!

Good luck, whatever you choose to do :-)

rindawriter said...

Only you can really make this choice. A wise old Christian lady once told me that God never pushes us when He wants us to do something. He's patient; He doesn't set deadlines (just look at how patient he was with Jonah, ha!). I do think that you need to do your art full-time, but try asking God to make it so in a way that doesn't financially strain you and yours, doesn't stress you. He's the wisdom-giver, the wisest counselor! Lately, I asked God for some tiem to ease into new work. He's giving me more time than I asked for! Guess He knew I needed more than I thought I did! But we're paying our bills, eating well, and, like you, no credit cards. And I'm creating like crazy. Have your church friends pray also for you about this. When it's right, it WILL be right, and you'll be joyful in it.

I am praying you get the art work full-time, though!! God gave you the talent; He'll help you use it.
Best to your wife adn son also, Rinda

ShellyP said...

Sooo, what are you going to do? Or should I ask, "What have you done?"