Saturday, November 24, 2007

Reading

I need to stop buying so many books and start reading the ones I already have. This year, I've obtained countless books — books I've bought, books given to me by friends, freebies given to me at conferences. Most of them are piled high next to my bed, unread.

Last week, I made a list of more books I want for Christmas. But then yesterday I visited the bookstore and didn't buy any of them. Instead, I bought Hill Harper's Letters to a Young Brother. Celebrity book, but it looks to be a good one, and it is an ALA Winner of Best Book for Young Adults, 2007.

I also got Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. It's funny, and written in bite-size essays, the way I enjoy writing myself. The title grabbed my attention, and five minutes later, I was standing in the aisle laughing out loud, like a fool. And it's not children's literature, which, as I stated in an earlier blog post, I need to temporarily break from.

This morning, I finished reading a book that didn't quite work for me. It's a short book, probably shouldn't have taken more than a few hours to complete, from beginning to end. But it took me forever. It's an award-winner. Has much in common to my own life. The book is beautifully written, but for whatever reason, I just didn't feel it. I like books that grab my attention and me pull me through. This book just laid there, and didn't pick up until the last few pages. Then it was over. Besides that, I don't do well with books that flip-flop through time, alternating then-and-now, every other chapter. Makes my brain spin.

2 comments:

rindawriter said...

Oh, I do not like flip flop books either! very rarely anyway!

I like short bite size paragraphs the best also. I'm reading Georgia Nichols now. The cat in her books! Absolutely hilarious!

Cloudscome said...

What was that book that didn't work for you? I am dying of curiosity!