Monday, October 08, 2007

Writing takes a left turn

Recently, the storyline of the chapter book I've been writing hooked a sharp left turn. Suddenly, it went from sweet and nostalgic, inspired by my own childhood experiences, to suspenseful and mysterious. Now it has nothing at all to do with me or my personal experiences.

I love the direction the story has taken. In this case, fiction is more realistic than real life — or at least it's more interesting.

My original concept would be a much easier story to write — it's straight forward, simple, cute. But this new direction is much more fun. I've actually scared myself a couple times, sitting here writing with my hairs standing on end. I'm trying to figure out a way to mesh the two stories together, but honestly, I'm afraid that doing so might weaken both concepts.

I have no idea what I'm going to do now, except that I'm not going to worry about it. Just gonna keep writing, even if it ends up being a mishmash of two different stories.

I want to finish the first draft so that I'll have time to do some revision before our SCBWI spring conference in 2008.

Writing is a very frustrating thing (for me). I've submitted three more chapters to my critique partners. They've already read three chapters from before my story changed. I'm looking forward to their feedback on this new direction.

1 comment:

rindawriter said...

It's normal what's happening to you in this first draft stage.

In the middle of my present work,now in first revision, I got a fantastic idea for yet another book--far, far, far too good to just lay aside. What will I do? I'll just keep collecting thoughts and scraps for the new book in its Junk Box as these "interrupt" my life, keeping moodling about it in between everything else, and just keep on finishing the work on the writing I'm already doing. When I finish this present manuscript I'm working on now, there it will lie, in the Junk Box, a new story already waiting to be worked on.

No problem with blank pages ever again for me!

Creative folks are like this, I do believe, as I find more and more, writing multi-taskers who also tend to work on multiple projects.

I myself tend to do quilting projects and writing projects togther, working back and forth. Seems to help things in both projects.

Mothers ALWAYS cry over their children! It's a mother thing to do......!

Maybe that editor will be amenable to a private hour with your work. That should be affordable, at an hour of her time I should think.

Back to my own WIP.....