Thursday, September 20, 2007

Sketching











A lot of artists are so in tuned to human anatomy that they can draw from memory. They also know how clothing will fold in response to body position and how lighting will affect folds. That's not me, I struggle with anatomy and folds. But I'm not alone. For every artist who can draw the human form from memory, there are at least two like me who need to draw from reference. With practice, I am getting better.

Lately, I've been studying folds. I know people probably think I'm weird, but when having a conversation with someone, I haven't been looking at their eyes. I've been looking at how their shirt bunches up under their armpits, at what happens to their shirt collar when they turn and look behind them, at how a skirt folds when a woman sits down.

For Ron, first I created quick anatomy studies from memory. Working from memory allow me to loosen up. But then to fine tune my sketches, I used various reference tools. Mostly, I used myself. I'd set the timer on my camera and take photos of myself in the necessary pose. Sometimes, I used Elsa, my nekkid wooden mannequin. Other times, I used a program called Poser. My best models, of course, were my son, K, and Lamar, a kid I hired to do a facial study.

****
Also, Robert's Snow snow flakes are now available for viewing, here, here and here. My snow flake, You'd Better Duck!, is in the second auction, November 26 - 30th, 2007. Please support this cause.

3 comments:

gail said...

I'm in the same club as you Don...I need to draw from reference.

I was just working on a an awkward hand/wrist position and the only way I could get it right was to take a picture of my own hand in a mirror.

Good idea about the camera with a timer!

And so true about getting super focused on finding examples of what we draw, in real life.

Rita said...

Thanks for the heads up about the snowflake-viewing links! I'm off to check them out!

Liz in Ink said...

LOVE the snowflake!!!