Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Lessons of a self-trained artist

Oil paint on watercolor paper doesn't work.

Only cost me two days and $29.00 in wasted art supplies to learn this lesson.

I think gesso may be the answer. I'll soon find out.

Edit to original post: Yes, it was the gesso. That's what I needed all along. Or something else to seal the paper. I should know better. How long have I been doing this? Come to think, why am I using watercolor paper with oils anyway?

Second edit: I found the answer to the technique I'm seeking! See, I'm not crazy. There is a technique for using oils on watercolor paper.

2 comments:

Liz in Ink said...

See, this to me is a comfort. Seriously. That everyone else isn't out there gettin' it right every second of the day...

rindawriter said...

Don, I found this REALLY interesting and useful for me in perhaps an unusual way. For my quilt "sketch" that I use as a guide for collaging fabrics into one of my watercolor quilts.

If I can draw my drawing outlines in the watercolor first, then use the oils on top as you said that are WIPABLE, then I have something FLEXIBLE on which I can work out my basic color groupings and combinatiosn FIRST in flat oil colors wiping off and repainting as I work out just the underlying color groups.

This could make my final collaging of my fabrics into the quilts a LOT quicker and easier for me, I think.

I think with using the paint I could come closer also to the actual colors I will need and use in the fabrics I have collected.

Oh! Don! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!! I have to go and chop up some fabric now.....