Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Rejected by Wiki

OK, maybe my actions were narcissistic, led by a pitiful and misguided search for significance. But my search only led to one conclusion: I'm insignificant.

I wanted to purchase LL's newest book, so I Googled his name, and came across his Wikipedia page. I was impressed; I don't have a Wikipedia page, so I decided to create one for myself.

I spent an hour trying to figure out this cryptic info-thing of a website, only to have my new page immediately deleted within 3 minutes by the Wiki gods. This is a portion of their response (I'm only showing a portion because my ego won't let me post the entire message):

The article Don Tate has been speedily deleted from Wikipedia. This was done because the article seemed to be about a person . . . but it did not indicate how or why the subject is notable . . . articles that do not assert notability may be deleted at any time. Please refrain from introducing inappropriate pages, such as Don Tate, to Wikipedia.

OK, that hurt. Maybe I'm no LL, but I've done a few things worth noting. I decided to try again, this time asserting my notability. I included a list of the books I've illustrated, awards and honors my books have received, along with a list of biographical and verifiable source information, things like reviews or articles that have been written about me.

They deleted me again. This time not immediately, but within 15 minutes. Ouch again.

Dejected, I decided to search Wikipedia for other authors and illustrators with about the same notoriety as me, but I couldn't think of any others because . . . well, because they are unknown.

I sent a note to the Wiki gods pleading my case. They sent me this report back, listing why I was removed:

--Unverifiable

--Vanity

--As per nom

What the hell's As per nom? Did they insult me again?

6 comments:

paula said...

That's hillarious, Don! On the one hand, it's good to know they're keeping watch over content that's being posted. On the other, well...Significance is in the eye of The Beholder, eh? : )

Joey said...

That is very funny...I still think you do "notable" work.

Liz Jones said...

What a bunch of yoyos. Democratic interface indeed...

There *are* other wikis than wikipedia... I'd suggest going to google and finding them,, and putting your info elsewhere! If they won't play ball, I suspect there are others who will.

Rita said...

Hahahahahaha.. I'm laughing.

I wish you luck in getting a Wikipedia entry. I have no idea why they would begrudge you that, but man, this is hilarious.

The first time I wanted to sign up for MySpace, MySpace kept rejecting me. ME! Isn't the point of MySpace that they let anyone on there??

It made me feel bad about myself.

Varian Johnson said...

Don, you are too funny!!

rindawriter said...

It's very funny but I can see how it hurts, too, Don. I do NOT see how other author and other author/illustrators for children get on there, though or why. I think it's more who you know on there than the quality of what you do!!! And I like to make my own mind up anyway....not let wikipedia do it for me.

My husband and I?

WE go elsewhere to get our accurate info---like to the original SOURCES, like the author's own website and his blogs!!!!