Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Deep Squats and bloody mary

Today, I am so pleased with myself! Not because I wrote a book? Not because I won an award? And not because I illustrated a book, though I am in the process of doing so. But that's not why I'm reeling.

Recently, I discovered a bodybuilding instruction website that offered a truly leg blasting routine. Earlier today, I completed 200 squats!— without stopping, all in one session! Of course three hours later, I'm numb from the waist down, and I'm walking lopsided, but that's OK. As they say, no pain, no gain.

What? Disappointed? You were you expecting more children's literature news? A brotha does have other interest beyond writing and illustrating for children, you know.

My goal by the end of the year: 500 slow, controlled squats in one session. That ought to fry my wheels, and maybe add enough mass that I'd consider one last competitive event (natural bodybuilding) before I'm too old to compete.

I may not have a Coretta Scott King award like Jerry Pinkney, James Ransome, Floyd Cooper, Kadir Nelson, E.B Lewis, Bryan Collier, Frank Morrison, or Ashley Bryan. But I'll bet none of them can do 200 squats either! At least, not today.

You think?

Edit to original post: On second thought, look at the little trophies they give out! Bodybuilding is all about the big trophy, some actually taller than the bodybuilder himself. I don't know if I want to compete for a little plate.

*************
In other news: My son shared with me a new game he learned from his friends at Karate camp. It's called Bloody Mary. First a coin is spun. The person nearest to the fallen coin is declared to be Mary. And all the boys get to make Mary bleed.
Interesting game, huh?

1 comment:

Rita said...

HA! Don! I love this post!

I love all your posts.

My husband decided a while back he and I were going to get six-pack abs. He got a book. We don't have the abs, yet, but it's been great fun.

:)
rita

(The book promised the abs by the end of six weeks. But we've been stalled at week four for over a year!)