Friday, July 27, 2007

My "Robert's Snow" snow flake





















I finished creating my ornament for entry into Robert's Snow, a fundraiser to benefit cancer research.

Robert's Snow, written by children's author/illustrator Grace Linn, is a children's book about a mouse who's not allowed to play in the snow. Grace's husband, Robert, is a two-time cancer survivor, and the project was inspired by those experiences. After the book published, Grace rallied a group of children's book artists to create one-of-a-kind snowflakes to be auctioned off, with proceeds benefitting sarcoma research at Dan-Farber Cancer Institute.

I'm calling my piece "You'd better duck!"

Some of my most vivid memories of winter were the snowball fights we had in Chautauqua Park, the neighborhood where I grew up in Des Moines, Iowa. There were lots of kids living in Chautauqua Parkway, and we took our snowball fighting seriously. Following a heavy snow, armies of us kids would gather outside and plummet each other with snowballs for hours. We took refuge inside of snow forts built one snowbrick at a time, or we'd hide behind 7-foot snow drifts that were typical following an Iowa winter storm.

During recess at school, snowball fights were popular. There were lots of trees on the playground. We'd hide behind them to keep from getting hit. Our snowball fights went on uninterrupted until one kid got hit in the face with a snowball laced with a big rock. His face was cut wide open. After that, snowball fights on school grounds came to an end. Even still, a little blood and a head full of stitches didn't discourage our snowball fights. We shot snowballs back and forth at each other after school, on our 8-block walk home.

************
Someone sent an email requesting that I write about my painting process. So, while I created the ornament, I took a few photos. Later this weekend, I'll post the photos and write about my process.

5 comments:

rindawriter said...

I will be eagerly waiting to see those photos! Loved the snow battle stories!

paula said...

Your snowflake looks fantastic, Don! Every snowflake I've seen people display on their blogs look wonderful. I'm eager to see if I can't win some bids!

Ginger*:)* said...

Your snowflake is gorgeous Don!

Rita said...

This is stunning!! I love it!!!

Camille said...

The snowflake is wonderful!