Friday, June 15, 2007

Signatures, signatures, more signatures. No check.

Before the visit, I send them my contract outlining the details — date, times, length and number of presentations. Payment for services are due on the day of the visit. It says so in the contract. They sign my contract and return it.

A few days later, they send their contract — no less than 15 pages. I read it over, sign and return it.

A few days before the visit, they call. I've omitted a signature. I'm not a convicted felon, so I didn't sign that line. But another line needed a signature. I sign and return the contract.

On the day of the visit, I didn't receive payment.

Couple days following the visit, I'm called back. The paperwork is outdated. They have new contracts. Payment can't be made until the new contracts are signed. I return, sign the new contracts, in person.

No check arrives.

Several weeks later, I receive another call. More signatures are needed. I go back, sign, sign, sign once again.

No check arrives.

Several weeks later, I receive a phone call. They need an initial to go along with one of the signatures that I had scratched out. I go back, initial. At that point, I had more time invested in paperwork, signatures, initials and travel than I did in the two presentations I had given.

Today, I receive a purchase order in the mail, not a check. The amount they have on record to pay me: almost three times the amount I invoiced. Another mistake. Sigh.

Here we go again. They probably need another signature. Or a promissory note, in this case.

7 comments:

Liz in Ink said...

Oi.
That's just about all I can say is oi.

Don Tate II said...

I probably shouldn't have blogged this, but it's just so out there, I couldn't pass it up.

Disco Mermaids said...

I think somebody just really likes your signature.

- Jay

Rinda M. Byers said...

Sure, you should have blogged about it! It's real; it happened! We just got a nice little note from the IRS....turns out WE did it right! But it costs US time (and being self employed, we don't get paid for OUR time in correcting THEIR mistake)!

SENDING BIG SYMPATHETIC FEELINGS!

Oi, oi! Is right. And that's a transliteration of a Thai expression that means just that!

Oi, Oi!

Camille said...

I always made sure I had the author's check in hand before they arrived at my school. Alas, the librarians are often at the mercy of the district business office. I always pulled out my ultimate weapon if I sensed they were delaying. I would ask for a MANUAL check. This is a check that has to be created by hand, it does not go through the district computer system and I found miracles would happen when I let them know I would be asking them to cut a check manually if they didn't have it to me in time.

The folks at the business office would not like THEIR paycheck weeks late. This is a hot topic with me.

I'm glad you blogged about this. Librarians should be very proactive about this.

Don Tate II said...

Camille: You are so right, my best, most successful visits are those where the librarian coordinates. They are always in order. And they prepare the children ahead of time so that they are familiar with me when I show up. This particular visit wasn't a librarian coordinated event. Explains.

Paige Keiser said...

Don't you see? They're selling your signatures on ebay. ;-)