Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Grouch on overload

For the next three weeks, I'm going to be a grouch. Why? Because I'm on work overload. By July 1, I must complete:

FARMER. So far, I've completed 11 paintings. I have five remaining.

A test painting for a book to publish with Scholastic. Work on the actual book, though, wouldn't begin until next summer, thankfully. Oftentimes, publishers will request a test piece or a character study from an artist or artists. In most cases, I've found that the art director or editor is already sold on a particular artist, but must sell the artist to his or her colleagues. Several artists might test for a book. Sometimes I've won, sometimes I've lost. Regardless, I'm still compensated for the test piece (well, most times). In this case, the publisher is looking for 'very cute.' They were drawn to me from this image illustrated for Read & Rise Magazine.

Mail out a test illustration to Lee & Low Books. Last week, for a couple of days, I put FARMER aside and completed a cover painting for BILL. But I haven't had time to mail it.

Complete at least one or two new scrapbooking designs for DAISIE. I have no idea how I'm going do this, but, as per a recent email from my licensing agent, I need to find a way. Not that she's making any demands, she's just gently encouraging me, looking out for my bottom line, and hers.

Submit a proposal for presenting a workshop on 'Children's Publishing: Words and Pictures' at the 2008 Black Writers Reunion & Conference in Tampa, Florida. Anyone with tips on how to submit a proposal like this, hit me up, please.

I'd like to, but probably won't have time to:

Mail a picture book manuscript to three different publishers. The manuscript is ready. A character study is complete. But no time to write cover letters or study submissions guidelines.

That all said, my right hand told me that he needs a rest. Last time I didn't listen to him, he stopped working for several months. He wouldn't return to work even with the help of Advil, a neurologist and several other contraptions given me by my physical therapist.

1 comment:

rindawriter said...

Oh, Don, I WANT to tell you that you need to quit your full-time job, but then I worry that you would work the painting hand even harder then and really end up hurting it. Rome was not built in a day, Rome was not built in a day. Do the top priority things first. The other thigns will fall in line.

Once these injuries happen, there is always going to be an area that causes pain after a long stint. Try massaging and easing the tendons out after 15 to 20 minutes in warm water for about five minutes. Then go back. Also, I gave my hsuband one of those rubbery balls to squeeze which helped remind him to stop and break and move the hand muscles differently from the heavy-duting typing which is hurting his wrists and hands.

You must take good, good care of this with breaks and massage and even wearing a hand brace even when holding the brush though it seems like a small problem. You can find a brace that helps if you experiment around with one or an ACE bandage type thing. I know. I once got tennis elbow by straining for too long writing longhand with pencil on a story. It has NEVER gone away fully since. I injured the tendon, and I have to be careful now with my write (right) hand and cannot even write by hand for verylong or veyr well anymore. And when typing now, I have to wear that tennis elbow brace, or I get into big trouble fast. Will pray for you,too. Best, Rinda