Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Phobias

























An illustration I created for a story that will run this weekend that answers questions about phobias. It's mixed media, acrylic and digital.

I can't say that I have any phobias, at least not anymore. I used to have an irrational fear of spiders, heights and flying in airplanes. I was in my early 20s when I flew for the first time. I went to an IRA conference in Atlanta, in the late 80s. I love flying now, but I still don't do heights or spiders. While sitting in the waiting room of my doctor's office last week, I flipped through a National Geographic. When I came to a photo essay about jumping spiders, I just about jumped out my skin. No telling how if affected my blood pressure reading. It's not a phobia, I don't think. I just don't like em. Eight eyes, eight legs, hair. They're like miniature monsters.

1 comment:

gail said...

Cool illustration Don. His expression is perfect. Love the body language and symbolism.

gail