Thursday, May 03, 2007

Neighborhood associations — sheez!

This afternoon I received a letter from my neighborhood association. They want to rid our home of my son's basketball hoop...pole...thingy. I was so mad reading the letter, I foamed at the mouth (course, it may have been residue from the protein shake I was drinking, but none-the-less).

My son is only 5-years-old, but he loves to play basketball. When I'm not home, he goes outside and shoots baskets alone. When I am at home, he insists I join him in a game of one-on-one. The basket is 40 inches off the ground, yet he still gets the ball up in the hoop. I was surprised that he took such an interest in this sport; I don't watch or play it myself.

Before I purchased the basketball hoop...pole...thingy last summer, I checked our neighborhood association covenant. I didn't want to buy something I'd have to return. It stated that residents were restricted from attaching basketball hoops to their homes. But it didn't say anything about unattached, portable basketball hoop...pole...thingys on wheels, and since every other house in our neighborhood had one sitting in their driveways, I figured it was OK. Went ahead and bought one like everyone else.

After I received the letter today, I took a drive down my street, counted nine other basketball hoop...pole...thingys in other people's driveways. Some are on the street in front of homes (which I agree, on the street is probably not a good idea).

I don't know if there's anything I'll be able to do about this. The last time I had a problem with the association, they didn't dignify my expletives with a call back.

My son is gonna be upset if I have to remove his basketball hoop...pole...thingy, and my heart's gonna break if I have to explain it to him. Again, he's at the age where every other word is "why," "why," and "why," and I won't have a good answer.

I don't understand our neighborhood association. Have it their way — and it will be their way, or else — our neighborhood would be nothing more than cookie-cutter homes, trees, flowerbeds. No sign of human habitation is allowed.

********************
In other news: In response to the book review I posted the other day, I received emails from the editor, author, and the family of the artist. I'm still amazed at how far the internet reaches.

It was all my pleasure reading and writing the review.

3 comments:

b. Johansen Newman said...

Don, this is where your newspaper and blogosphere connections come into play...

Send a letter to your "association."

Imform them of the absurdity of their take on this. Then tell them if they make you take down a portable, 40 inch high hoop for your 5 yr old, you will not only "talk" about it in the paper, you will send it to NBC, CNN, and Fox, and, in addition, all of your fellow children's book authors will blog about it.

And we will, too.

And then MANY media people will descend upon the neighborhood and they will wish they never even brought it up. You will make them feel like the Judge who is suing that poor Korean couple for 65 million over lost trousers.

I am on a bit of a roll lately. Sorry. I think it is my age. I have acquired cohones. Sorry if I am truly Ranting and Raving.

But, feel free to tap into my indignation for sure.

Barb

Anonymous said...

We have an association too. : P
When the trouble first started about basketball hoops, and swingsets, we looked in 'the rule book" and as long as something wasn't a "permanent" structure it is not forbidden.. and we noticed another rule is...
no hazardous chemicals in the garage... which
is very difficult for the chem-lawn-always-green people! So we as a basketball wanting group--forced the association to accept the hoops or enforce ALL the rules!
Maybe that would work.
Good Luck!
Laura

Brea said...

That's ridiculous. Perhaps you have a critical mass with the other 9 homes who have the hoops. Could you contact those home owners and go to the association as a group?