Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Happy dance!

















Received good news today. My picture book biography has been acquired by Lee & Low Books. I'm an author now, or soon will be. I can't share the details, though. I'll have to wait until later this summer after the contracts have been signed, and an illustrator has been chosen. Yes, that's right! I may or may not be the illustrator for this book. And I'm perfectly cool with that. In fact, going in, I made it clear to the editors that I was open to other artists illustrating this story. My goal was to write the best story I possibly could, and to get it published.

My editor said it was OK to make an "unofficial announcement" here. Good thing because I'm not good with keeping secrets. I would have burst keeping the news all bottled up. Although I'm keeping the details to a minimum, I will offer this clue.

21 comments:

Varian Johnson said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

(Sorry for the all-caps, but it's worth it!)

Chris Barton said...

Fantastic, Don! Way to go! I haven't quite put things together from that "clue" you offered, but I think I'm getting close...

annette simon said...

great news! happy dancing!
-a.

Kim said...

Excellent! Congratulations!

gail said...

Yeah!! Well, if your clue is any indication, you're right about not keeping secrets well. :)

Congrats,
gail

Kelly said...

Yay!!! Congrats, Don. Lee & Low is a fabulous house.

Liz B said...

Fantastic! And Lee & Low are great! I'm psyched for you (and really, really love your happy dance man.)

Disco Mermaids said...

An illustrator and an author. Woo-hoo! Congratulations, Don.

I can't wait to read your book.

- Jay

Disco Mermaids said...

Awesome, Don! I love great news like this!

You're an inspiration!

-Robin

roz said...

Wonderful news, Don!

Anne Bustard said...

Go, Don!

Gregory K. said...

That is great news, Don! Congrats... and can you teach me to dance???

TadMack said...

Congratulations! I'm late to the party, but just wanted to cheer you on - can't wait to read another piece of African American history I'd never known before. Go Devas!

Liz in Ink said...

Best news I heard all day!!!
Yee haw, Don!

Jen Robinson said...

Congratulations! That's great news! Love the happy dance, too.

ShellyP said...

Wow, that great news! Congratulations!!

cloudscome said...

Great news Don! Congratulations!

Camille said...

That is TERRIFIC!!
I am so happy for you!

rindawriter said...

Don, YOU were an AUTHENTIC AUTHOR long before this in MY book, but it gives me the greatest pleasure to say "I TOLD YOU SO!" about this particular project. Like the hero of your book, "jes' do it!" brotha...and YOU DID!

Congratulations...now I have to recover from all the excitement...

"e" said...

Woot! Woot!!!
So, so very happy for you Don! I've loved following your progress (and angst) on your blog. Hope I can meet you and say "congratulations" in person one day!
:)
e
http://dulemba.com

Rita said...

CONGRATS, DON!!!!! :D

Sure wish you were coming to the conference again this year!

YAY FOR YOU!! :D

rita