Friday, May 18, 2007

Confounded over commercial

So, I'm wondering what it means when an agent reads a manuscript and responds with great enthusiasm, offers a rave review, describes the story as "...well-written...a story young readers will connect with..." and "...great fun, both in story and art..." but declines representation because it isn't commercial enough for today's publishing market?

I'm still a relative newbie to the writing side of the children's literature business. But if responses like those listed above came from an artist agent, it would mean: I love your stuff, the contract is in the mail. What's commercial (suitable or fit for a wide popular market, as per Dictionary.com) if "well-written," "great fun," and "a story young readers will connect with" isn't?

I have more homework to do. I like this agent and I don't want to give up.

1 comment:

Disco Mermaids said...

It most often means that they didn't think there was a big enough hook to the story.

But now always.

Sometimes you'll just have to throw your hands into the air because disecting the words will drive you crazy. (Been there!)

- Jay