Thursday, May 24, 2007

Justin and slushing






















This is an image I created for Justin and the Best Biscuits in the World, which has been republished as part of a basal program with Harcourt. I just received the original artwork back from the publisher yesterday, which means I haven't seen it in over a year. Sometimes, I find it hard to look at my artwork after so much time has passed. Usually, I see mistakes that I didn't see before. But most of the illustrations from this book passed the test of time.

See more of my portfolio at my Flickr.

****************

Ok, I know I said before that I'd never do the slush pile thing. I don't like gambling, wasting time, or losing. But, I've reconsidered. I feel really good about one story in particular, and this agent thing isn't working out. So, I'll be slushing.

1 comment:

rindawriter said...

Don, I think the slush pile is today much more competative in some ways and somewhat riskier perhaps too. Aim for the well-established publishers of good repute, large or small, get the personal names and titles of editors out there looking for stuff, address your letters/queries to specific editors, and...I hate to say it, because it isn't fair considering all the sloppy stuff I've gotten BACK from editors! But!

Get that submission package pristine if you want to stand out in the slush. If you're hitting the slush, you have to go above and beyond perfection in order to stand out on that first impression.

My business school teachers trained us in doing resumes, and it's the same thing there. It's not fair. You might get hired by a boss with very messy work habits for your dream job, but, but, BUT! Your resume still has to be perfect if that is what that editor is going to first see in the slush. Keep it simple, plain, concise, no fancy additions, no colors, no illustrations in the manuscripts, dummies separate, portfolio separate, no mistakes in addresses, names, e-mails, contact info, all that picky "stuff. Sigh. I should know just from submitting resumes. Got lots of jobs that way, though.