Thursday, April 05, 2007

Reviewing my manuscript

I'm sitting here, literally, with goosebumps. And it's not because of the 101-degree temperature I've maintained over the past three days due to a cold and upper respiratory infection. It's because I just finished reading the most recent edits for a book I've been working on for the last three years.

My editor recently sent me the final version, the version she'll take to her editorial meeting. The version that will either make or break this deal (goosebumps, again).

It's been over nine months since I've even looked at this manuscript, so I didn't remember my words exactly. As I read, I kept thinking, "wow, I love what she's done. What an amazing addition she's made." But then after checking what I had actually submitted to her, I would realize the words weren't hers. They were mine.

Good editors don't write for the author. With this manuscript, and the essay, I've learned that good editors are those who raise questions, make suggestions, and point the author in directions that he/she may not have considered. They help make a good story great.

This is all so cool. But it ain't a done deal, yet. So, mums still the word.

5 comments:

Brea said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Chris Barton said...

Same here, Don. However long you have to wait until that editorial meeting, it's going to seem like twice as long, but know there are lots of folks out here rooting for you.

rindawriter said...

You can still keep dancing! This is GOOD NEWS! Good editors are the BEST!

gail said...

Fingers crossed here too.

Good luck!
gail

Varian Johnson said...

This is kinda late, but I'm hoping for the best for you as well. Good luck (not that you need it).