Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The funeral scene





















Maybe it's not so bad after all. Showing the body. My editor and the author were both insistent that the body be shown. I fought it for a minute, but gave in because...well, I don't have time to fight. I need to start painting this book if it's gonna make it's publishing date.

On second look, maybe it works. As I said before, the editor and author are much smarter than I.

There's a reason why the mourners are smiling. But you'll have to read the book to find out.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Well...maybe it will be a good discussion starter for families. Without having read the book, I'm with you. But, the sketch is intriguing, so maybe it works!

San Nakji said...

I like the picture. It's quite serene.

rindawriter said...

Yes, it is serene, and I imagine the colors you will use will help reinforce that. It's not distasteful in any way. Where I grew up in Thailand, old people often keep their future coffins in their homes! When they die, the corpse is often displayed in the living room. They're very practical about it all, and death is not covered up like we do here with our funeral homes and services.

Disco Mermaids said...

I didn't think I'd like it when you were first talking about it, but...it looks very natural. It kinda takes the eeriness out of death, which is good for children.

- Jay

gail said...

You handled this very well1 I'm quite intrigued, I want to know why they are smiling. Nice composition too!

gail

Brea said...

I applaud the decision to illustrate the scence in this manner. Children and adults need to learn that death is a part of life not something abstract or scary. The toothpick hanging out of his mouth, in addition to the facial expressions in the illustration, are a nice touch. Great work.