Saturday, March 24, 2007

Essayist and runner

Austinites, be sure to pick up a copy of the newspaper tomorrow. You-know-who (yes, me) will be a featured essayist for the 'Tales of the City' column.

There won't be an online version, I don't think, so I might just post it here myself. I'm not sure if I can do that though. If not, you may have read a version of it last summer when I posted about my juvenile jail visit. The newspaper version will have the benefit of an editor — who pushed me to focus the piece and draw a conclusion, one that I hadn't considered before — and copy proofer. And a very nice photo, too.

I'm not too happy with the headline (did you know, copy editors, and not reporters, write headlines for newspapers): "Talking art to kids behind bars inspired us both." Upon first glance, seeing my picture with the headline, without reading the story, you might assume that I'm the one in jail. The story does clear that up, but...

Anyway, I've already received many compliments from an early run, and it hasn't even officially published yet.

Other Austinites interested in contributing Austin slice-of-life stories should do so by contacting the editors at tales@statesman.com.

In other news: Tomorrow, the wife and I will run in the 30th Anniversary of the Statesman's Capitol 10,000, 10K fun run. This will be kind of interesting considering I haven't trained at all. We've run several 5Ks together, and she ran a 10K last spring. But I've never ran any farther than 5K. The last time we planned to run together, I injured my heel (a reoccurring problem), so she had to run alone.

When I went to work today, she sent me with a huge jug of water, and keeps calling to see if I'm keeping myself hydrated. What good is served by hydrating myself today when the race is tomorrow? Sheez!

Though we are running together, I've already warned her that I probably won't be able to match her pace (she's been taking running classes at RunTex). So, we'll be running together, but separately.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi Don:

Your link is up!

http://www.statesman.com/insight/content/editorial/stories/insight/03/25/25tales.html

I agree--I did a double take when I read the headline. I was going to post about it tomorrow.

Great job!

Don Tate II said...

Oh my gosh. Who is Kelly? Wave at me so I'll know who you are.

Thanks for the link!

Kelly said...

Kelly at Big A little a. I must have been logged into my other gmail account. Sorry for the confusion!!

Stacey Thomas said...

I read your blog account about the prison visit. Very powerful and moving. I think this is a fantastic way of reaching out to the community and to kids who need a positive male role model so desperately.

rindawriter said...

I'm EXCITED to read this! I was editor of my high school paper and worked on it for three years, and my favorite thing was encouraging people to CONTRIBUTE create things. Love to see this kind of thing going on in hometown papers. LOVE IT!