Thursday, March 01, 2007

Congratulations to Bartography!

I just heard some exciting news. One of my critique buddies has just sold his second picture book! You can read the details over at Bartography.

I first heard the good news through an email he sent me shortly before posting the news on his blog. I got the news early. I'm feeling like such an insider! I know it's not my book that sold, but I practically jumped up out of my seat and did the good-news-dance after reading his email. And I know how his boys must feel; they were so excited the day we read the story at our critique session.

So, of course, you know what that means for a self-centered brotha like myself: What about me? I'd given up on trying to find an literary agent, only after two tries. I'd decided not to participate in the futile process of sending out manuscripts to the few publishers who still accept unsolicited manuscripts. And I still haven't even submitted the 30 story ideas to the one editor who expressed an interest in helping me develop a story that he could publish.

But, hearing Chris' good news has changed all that. He has demonstrated to me that patience is truly a virtue. His example inspires to to keep on keeping on. My pump is primed!

Head on over and congratulate Chris. He's worked hard and his determination has paid off.

3 comments:

Amy C. Moreno said...

Get those 30 ideas out there to that publisher! Perseverance pays off...especially when you have talent and an interested publisher!

rindawriter said...

Yes, indeed! You just make a quick list and you'll see how many opportunities are just WAITING for you! It's like being a runner or skater in practice--or like an EverReady Bunny....You just keep going...and going...and going...that's why I keep an EverReady Bunny underneath my "art/writing" table upstairs...helps me remember...

And DON! Look at the last PW on children and comic books! You're a NATURAL, man, a natural for comics mixed in with writing. You take another look at that book, "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid," now, my husband told me when he read it that this was going to be popular, and it, too, according to a recent PW certainly is taking OFF! You can do it, brotha! I can't wait to read it, either...

Chris Barton said...

Thanks a bunch, Don. Now, which of those 30 ideas are you working on for next Saturday's critique group?