Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Cold call

Last evening, I attended a mandatory parent training session at my son's school. It's required that each parent complete at least four hours of parent training and volunteer hours each school year. Because sessions are held in the evenings, I can't attend most of them; I work a late shift. But last night, the topic was about raising boys, so I got the night off.

Before entering the school, I dug through my briefcase looking for my cellphone. I figured, if the session proved boring, I could play text-message-tag with my daughters — one in Des Moines, and the other in Arizona. I never found my phone, so I had to go it alone.

Inside, I sat in the front row so I could easily see and hear the speaker. But I was disappointed to learn that we'd be watching a three-hour-long video. My attention span is zilch, so I wasn't exactly excited about having to sit through a three-hour sermon.

The first segment lasted about an hour, and then we were given a break. As I stood up, my son appeared out of nowhere. He passed me a note written by my wife: "DONNY, I LOCKED MY KEYS IN THE VAN. I NEED THE KEYS TO YOUR CAR. CALL ME WHEN YOU'RE FINISHED AND I'LL COME GET YOU." My son snatched my keys and then disappeared again.

Suddenly, I remembered I didn't have my cell phone with me. Visions of walking home at 10 p.m. — much more than a 4-mile walk — sent me dashing from the building out into the parking lot. I caught them just before they pulled off. My wife gave me her cellphone, and I returned to training.

Later when she picked me up, she told me that she'd accidently locked her keys in the van after soccer practice. She said that she'd tried to call me repeatedly, but...well, my phone was lost in La-La land. Turned out, she and K had to walk from the park to the school where I was in training. It's not a terribly long walk, about four miles. But it had to be a worrisome walk considering she didn't even know if I had actually received the time off from work to attend the session.

Once we got home, I didn't find my phone. It wasn't anywhere in the house. And it wasn't on my desk at work the next day. But I didn't worry, I've lost my phone before.

Come lunchtime, I went to grab my lunch from the refrigerator. Inside, I discovered my forgotten lunch from two days before — barbeque chicken, broccoli, macaroni and cheese...and my cellphone.

Put's a new twist on the practice of cold calling...har har har.

I won't share this portion of the story with the wife.


Courtney said...

That is the funniest thing I have read today. It would have been great if someone had heard the fridge ringing.

rindawriter said...

Don, FINALLY, somebody else who loses stuff...I read your story just after I lost my wallet....found it finally above the fireplace--and I have NO idea why it was there! Thanks for sharing, VERY funny!