Friday, January 05, 2007

Too many ands

I just finished a draft for a piece that I'm submitting to an editor at at my full-time gig. It turned out good, I think, but I've noticed something about my writing: I use the word "and" too much.

In my studio, I paint and draw and create illustrations on my computer. And I love doing that.

Too doggone many "ands" in one 18-word sentence. Sounds kind of nice rolling off my tongue, poetic, maybe. But in a 1000-word document, it kinda gets on my nerves. Kind of like when people always use the words "um" or "like."

In my studio, I, like, draw pretty pictures. Um. Then I, like, paint them, too. Um. Like, illustration is so cool. Like, don't you agree?

I'm gonna have to work on that.

***************

Reading next: Raising Fences: A black man's love story. Heck, Valentine's month is approaching anyway, and a brotha doesn't mind reading mushy stuff sometimes.

2 comments:

rindambyers said...

Probably just need to utilyze some comma's here and there!

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. And I said this And that And the other . Grrr. And you dont even notice ou're doing it. And... LOL. Will just have to proof read stuff a little more.