Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Tagged!

I was tagged. Liz would like for me to reveal five little-known things about myself. Better question: What haven't I revealed in the blogosphere? Those who discovered this blog back in the day, before I cleaned it up, and those who've read my other blogs, know everything about me. I'm a fairly transparent blogger.

But after much thought, there are a few things I haven't mentioned here.

1. I've always been different. Intentionally. When I was a teen, I thought it would be cool to ride a unicycle because everyone else rode bicycles. I got my hands on one. And fell flat on my face, breaking my front tooth. I wore a gold tooth before grillz were fashionable. (see me, in middle school, with a gold tooth and a bleached gold spot in my afro)

2. I pierced my own ear with a sewing needle when I was 15-years-old. Not a biggie in today's climate. But I pierced mine back in the day before male earrings were mainstream. Back then, guys with pierced ears were considered to be either gay or thuggish, guys who'd probably spent time behind bars. It caused quite a stir at home and at school. I was raised in a strict Seventh-day adventist church where women weren't allowed to wear jewelry, much less men. So, I'd always plop in my biggest stone before Saturday service. A few years later, George Michael wore earrings in his Wham videos and then guys with earrings became the norm.

3. When I was a kid, I thought it would be cool to break a leg or an arm and to wear a cast. I was envious when someone came to school wearing a plaster cast and walking on crutches. I dreamed of the day I'd wear a cast signed by everyone. I never had the pleasure of breaking anything though.

4. As a child and well into adulthood, I dreamed that I could fly. I had this dream almost every night, literally. When I was attacked by someone, I'd raise my arms and slowly rise. If I rose was too slowly, I'd wave my arms hard, and the higher-up I'd go. I'd taunt my adversaries out of their reach. I was always disappointed when I woke up and realized that I couldn't fly.

5. Besides an artist, I wanted go grow up to be a magician. I remember at a Cub Scout event, a magician performed magic tricks. I was awestruck. I wanted to to do that, make things disappear, pull coins out of people's ears. Somehow, I got my hands on a magic book filled with the secrets of magicians. But the book was kind of spooky. Included a lot of witchcraft and images of demons. I left it alone. I had always been good with my hands, but I never mastered slight of hand. That, and I never liked being the center of attention. So performing magic was out.

Thinking back to being a teenager, I've recalled all kinds of stuff to reveal. So, here's a sixth. It's no secret, I'm not into sports. So, when I was in middle and high school, I hated gym. Despised it. Top it off, in gym, I was expected to undress in front of everyone, change into my gym clothes. Later came showers. I usually passed gym with a D-minus grade because I refused to change in front of everyone, and I only tolerated one public shower before I gave public showering for good. Wasn't until about 10 years ago, when I got into natural bodybuilding that I could proudly strut butt-naked through a locker room and not care.

I think everyone's been tagged. If you haven't, consider yourself tagged.

2 comments:

Rinda M. Byers said...

I really, REALLY don't think you wnat to break something, brotha! Even if you get to have the cast signed. I have broken a wrist, two ankles, and my foot....no, no, nooooo, brotha! It ain't fun at all! Not even with glow-in-the dark casts they have now-a-days........why? Did I break all those things? Because I'm clumsy, that's why....

Lilian said...

Hi Don, I found your blog a while ago through a comment you made at Cloudscome's blog (I met her in "blogland" but we did get to meet in person since we live in the same city and have sons the same ages).

I was curious mostly because you mentioned in that comment that you were an SDA growing up (like in this post) and I am an SDA. I grew up in Brazil and my dad was a pastor, I mean, still is, but he's retired now... The SDA in Brazil is very different from what it is in this country...

anyway, regarding this "meme" I also wanted to break a bone and have everyone sign on my cast when I was a kid, and I've always dreamed about flying...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that one of the things I share with Cloudscome is an interest in children's literature. I think it's awesome that you're a children's book illustrator and I want to learn more about your work.