Friday, January 12, 2007

Illustrating a death scene

I'm in the process of illustrating a very difficult scene in a children's book, and I'm not sure how to approach it. In the scene, a young woman is viewing a dead body in a casket. Has to, that's what the text describes. It's important to show the emotion on everyones face. The story is making a point.

Obviously I can't show the body, even though, to a certain degree, what's going on in the casket is key to the text.

Hmm. I'm gonna need to think on this.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

you could show a shot with just the child's head peeking over the casket, almost from the inside. maybe that's too creepy?

Anonymous said...

It all depends on what age group you are going for, what type of book it is, and where it is supposed to take place (ie. funeral home, church, synagogue). Death is always a difficult thing. Funeral homes creep me out. Personally, I think a beautiful picture would be from the minister's point of view, facing the congregation. Showing the casket, the young woman, the people. And the holiness of the church, the stained windows, cloudlike angels floating around...showing peace and love.

rindambyers said...

That last comment is a good one! I was thinking that somebody probably would have a handerchief up to their face anyway, so that would solve at least the problem of one person's face! Funerals are very hard, my dad's done hundreds and hundreds as a pastor in his long life, and they never get easier, even for him.