Sunday, January 21, 2007

Artist/writer critiquing writer writers

I think because I'm more illustrator than writer, insecurities haunt me after giving feedback to my critique partners, who are both published and soon to be published writers.

Critique partner: Thanks, Devas T., that critique was very helpful.

Devas T.: Good, so I was helpful?

Critique partner: Yes, very helpful.

Devas T.: Reeeeally? How helpful?

Critique partner: Um, very. You helped me to see a few things I overlooked.

Devas T.: I did? Me?

Critique partner: Yes. You.

Devas T.: Things like...what?

Critique partner: ???!!

Devas T.: So, on a scale of 1 to 10, how helpful...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

9.5, OK? But don't get cocky -- that last 0.5 is going to be tough...

Liz said...

Laughing laughing laughing.
I love admitted self-interest. It makes me feel better about me. Tee hee

rindawriter said...

Oh, Don! Now, no more of dividing yourself up like this, okay? You ARE an author, a writer, an author, a writer, an author, a writer, an author, a writer...a CREATIVE person TOTALLY. Okay? Check out a few chapter titles in Brenda Ueland's book, "If You Want to Write," for a good morale booster. I type out quotes from it to keep on hand, myself.