Sunday, October 29, 2006

Loving Immediate Fiction

I've only read twelve pages from Immediate Fiction and already I'm inspired, energized and ready to plow ahead with my writing goals. As I always do, in a hurry to get to the meat of the matter, I skipped the introduction and jumped ahead to the first chapter. But, the first chapter was so good, I'm backtracking to read the introduction. I don't want to miss anything.

The reason these first few pages spoke so loudly to me is because he covered some familiar territory, things I could relate to. Author Jerry Cleaver says: "You must write badly first." I can relate, I do lots of that. He went on to quote Hemingway who said: The first draft is always sh#t." Only he used Hemingway's expletive as is. Again, I could relate to this, too; my first drafts are pretty sh#tty.

I've made a few mistakes since I started writing, but the biggest, I think, is that somewhere along the way, I started to care. I went from writing for fun to writing to get published. Cleaver says: "The less you care, the better you write."

Think I'm gonna like this book.

3 comments:

rindambyers said...

Thanks for the book tip; I'll have to pick it up and check it out!

cloudscome said...

I think I need to read this one too.

ShellyP said...

Ooh, keep us updated on this book! I may have to get it too.